Monday, February 6, 2012

Don't invest with Bud Light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo1BHwPtQcc

"We dreamed of turning gold into platinum", says Bud Light in their Superbowl commercial last night. While the general consensus among viewers was that commercials were pretty lame last night, I am still pretty surprised that while paying millions for a 30 second spot, Bud Light would not have done a little bit more research. Why? Because anyone who would like to do a 1 for 1 swap, selling platinum and buying gold is giving up nearly $100 per ounce right now. Don't get me wrong, I get the general marketing concept; beer has a golden coloration, and to do the double comparison, color and value seems pretty creative..... And it would be, if it wasn't simply wrong.

Courtesy of Kitco, I have included below the 1 year Charts for both Gold and Platinum. As you can see, it is not as if this difference in price is a completely new phenomenon; though it is true that historically platinum has traded at a premium to gold. I have yet to see anyone with a Bud Light trading jacket on the floor of the Comex, but perhaps they were the same ones selling the June 4000 puts 2 dollars under intrinsic. While I can say I have gotten the occasional free beer or key chain from Budweiser, I never did expect they would be so willing to literally give away money.



No comments:

Post a Comment